Monday, November 1, 2010

Goodbye Rodi

“And when ye come into an house, salute it. And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.” Matthew 10:12-14

Goodbye Rodi, whoever you are. I don’t know you and I don’t care to, and that is why I just defriended and blocked you.

This was a difficult breakup to initiate, we being ‘brothers in Christ,’ but in the end I feel comfortable with my decision. Today is election day. Rodi voted to hate me, while I voted to love him. Since we serve two different masters, I have to obey mine.

Rodi and I only met through facebook. We have a mutual friend that suggested Rodi friend me because of my writings about Christ. Rodi says he’s a Christian, but it’s strange…every time I receive an email from one of my Christian friends, I always feel a little ping of joy in my heart before reading it. Whenever I receive communication from Rodi, I prepare myself to be outraged or annoyed or simply confused by incoherence.

Rodi is a conservative ‘Christian.’ There is very little difference between trying to converse with him and trying to converse with a rock. Last week I asked him a straightforward Yes or No question three times. He could not answer it. The question really was as direct and simple as: “Is your name spelled R-O-D-I?” And he really could not and never did answer it.

I once quoted Ezekiel in a ‘debate’ we were having. He called my argument weak. He claims he’s read the Bible, but I don’t think so. (His actual words were: 'he’s gone through it several times.') As it turned out he had absolutely no clue what he was talking about in the first place in attacking my use of the verse from Ezekiel. I think he’s afraid to actually read the Bible for the truth he knows it contains.

I once said that Christ was about love. Rodi replied not always, then quoted Matthew 10:34. “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.” When I asked Rodi what he thought that passage meant, he couldn’t answer me. I don’t think he understands that the sword to which Christ referred is not forged from metal and designed for murder.

The sword of Christ is the word of God as described in various places throughout Scripture. For example, Isaiah 49:2 "And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me." And Revelation 1:16 "And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength."

Like many conservatives, Rodi loves the part about the blood of Christ washing away sin, but the ‘do unto others’ and ‘love thy neighbor as thyself’ parts he could do without. I think that much like the Jehovah’s Witnesses and their 144,000 chosen, and the Mormons and their great prophets Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, Rodi believes in a derivative Jesus that simply does not exist.

Rodi strikes me as blind to the truth, and somewhat mentally ill, and that what he needs from Christ before forgiveness is first to be healed. Jesus did heal many who were blind and lunatic, and 2 Peter 3:16 certainly seems to apply to Rodi’s worldview and odd ‘understanding’ of the Bible as he babbled it to me. “As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.”

He also calls to mind the basket of figs in Jeremiah 24:2. "One basket had very good figs, even like the figs that are first ripe: and the other basket had very naughty figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad." That metaphor describes one of the core messages of the Bible that so many conservative Christians fail to grasp. Simply put, God wants your heart. You can attend church eight days a week, tithe a billion dollars and donate to every charity under the sun, but if your heart is filled with racism and/or hatred and/or violence and/or greed and/or lies and/or corruption and/or contempt for your fellow man then you are like an apple that appears shiny and firm, but once tasted and found to be rotten is spit out and tossed.

For me to come Rodi’s rendering of Christ would require me to harden my heart. For him to come to mine would require that Rodi soften his heart. Since fruit softens as it ripens, and the goal of life is to become palatable to God....

Rodi is praying for a landslide Republican victory today. He thinks the Republican policies of well-oiled war machines and disdain for social programs is somehow Christian. He has no problem cutting monies for education and housing and infrastructure and food for the poor to build more bombs for foreign babies and to give more billions to billionaires. He thinks it's a-ok that bankers of America are lying and cheating to turn people out of their homes. He just does not get it. Rodi hates Obama. But if McCain and Palin were in power we'd probably have 23 percent unemployment, war with Iran, and Fox News blaming all that on Obama too. Don't worry, Rodi, with the direction things are taking, McCain may just live to see that glorious day of Bomb, Bomb Iran that is the stuff of his wettest nocturnal emissions.

So Rodi, when you raise your champagne glass in victory this election night I hope this lyric from Welcome to the Terrordome by Public Enemy pops into your head, (via this subliminal seed): “Traits of hate who’s celebratin with Satan?” If the Republicans win it will be a victory for SATAN. Yet more irreversible damage will be inflicted on our society, and the death knells for democracy, already ringing, will start pounding out their ominous dirge. I hope the next time you eat some homemade mango raisin gelato dipped in capitalist turd sprinkles you think of the child labor you knowingly exploited with your vote so that Americorp could expand its profit margins while raising unemployment. I hope when you complain about the deficit, again, in a few years, that you remember voting today to let REPUBLICANS add a few more trillion to it, again. I could go on and on with the specific political truths, but you don't care about the truth, you are perfectly content to let right wing propaganda poisons zombify your mind with unfounded fears and outright lies.

Rodi is an avowed capitalist. I have no problem with the concept of hard work and accompanying reward, and I work in a capitalist business on the Gulf of Mexico. Our profit margin was directly impacted by the oil spill. In order to succeed, my business needed the gulf to be left as God made it. In order to succeed BP needed to rip it up. In Rodi’s bizarre 'Christian' world BP’s capitalist rights superseded mine. Let me repeat that: BP's right to destroy God's creation for profit supplanted my right to profit from the Gulf of Mexico being left alone.

Rodi thinks his place in heaven is assured, and that until then he’s free to visit the wickedness of the Devil in the guise of self-righteous Republican misery on the rest of the world. I don’t at all feel like my salvation is guaranteed. I’ve given God plenty enough reason to reject me, and know there are no buts in the judgment of my life, and I walk through mine on my knees hoping to shape my heart into an acceptable fruit. The last line of Drifting With Jesus embodies my philosophy: “I hope to see you all in heaven, for that will mean that I am there also.”

I suggest you take one of those Bibles from the shelf, Rodi, puff off the dust, open it to page one, start with “In the beginning…” and read a few pages a day for a year or so until you’ve reached the last “amen.” It's not boring nor tedious, it's AWESOME. I have nothing further to say to you, and anything else I would say can be found between those four words.

Speaking of a poof of dust....

No comments:

Post a Comment